Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Yet another culture experience.

We went to the dentist this week. First time I have been to the dentist in France. Yet another new cultural experience. We arrive at the family dentist and discovered that it was the day of Bataille's....unknowingly Laurent's mother had been to see the dentist just a half hour before us. Laurent and I go into the dentist's office, which is where the chair is as well. I sit by the desk while Laurent has his check up. It didn't take that long, but long enough that I realized I wouldn't have any idea what the dentist was trying to say to be about my teeth because I don't really know the vocabulary for things like plaque and cavities. When it was my turn I sat down, he adjusted my headrest, reclined my seat and started looking at my teeth. He touched that metal pick thing to my teeth (not scraping just touched once or twice). Then said bite down. Remarked how my orthodonist almost did a good job, and said you're done. Nothing for me to do here...not even tartar. I think it took him longer to adjust my chair then to look at my teeth!

What happened to the polishing wand, to that weird paste they use, and the sucker thing they stick under your tongue? Not even a tube to spit into. I feel like I missed out on something. Then I realized that this is the way the dentist visits will be the rest of my life. Plus no free tooth brushes, tooth paste, or floss. Sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home