Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Score: 1 Sharla - 0 France

Today was a 'good day' in France. It is always a good day in France when you win. This morning I went to the Prefecture (scariest place on earth!) to see if I could exchange my American drivers license for a French one.

After lots of praying and nervous anticipation I handed the lady at the desk my papers (one of which looked like a bunch of gibberish and thought she would scream at me for it). She was friendly. I praised the Lord. She did inform me that I needed to change my address on my visa because it had to match my address now. So I went and stood in another line. It was a man behind this counter, he was very friendly, and I praised the Lord again. He said I needed photocopies. Easy enough right?

I proceeded to ask every person in the building if they had change for a 5 because of course their change machine is broken and they don't give out change at the front desk. Some nice guy said he would try to help me out. He handed me a euro and said to just take it. What a huge blessing. Then I went around asking if someone had smaller change because the photocopie machines don't give change and I would have to make photocopies at two different points. I had to go back to the same guy and ask if he had smaller change. Thankfully he did. I felt a little stupid but incredible greatful!

Photocopies done, address changed, and back in line for my drivers license. The woman behind the desk kept saying it would be good...then oh wait....oh wait. The time she got up from her desk to ask her collegue if one of my papers was okay I thought it was over and they would say no.

In the end, I walked out with a paper in hand that says they are mailing me my drivers license within the next couple months. Yippee! I felt like I had conquered the system. We will see how I feel after then next time I set foot in that place.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Schmit Family said...

way to go sharla, way to go!!! you have conquered some kind of social system. i mean they would NEVER take an american driver's license in this place.... NEVER. they think that we are untrained. which maybe we are? you should give yourself 2 points for this one. sharla -2 france-1

1:29 AM  
Blogger The Schmit Family said...

hey sharla... Happy birthday... i know that you will get his in your email if i write it here, i am what you call lazy!!!! is your's and londa's birthday's really close together???? there will be a special swedish treat waiting for you when you get here~!! can't wait to see you!!! yippee, ki-yi-yeah!!!

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home