Apple Pie
A couple weeks ago, while at a conference, Heidi Savage and I decided to pick some apples. We were in Salies at the Bataille family house and there are multiple apple trees in the backyard. Heidi and I amused ourselves for awhile picking apples, and some how I ended up taking them all home becaue she wasn't going to be home to do anything with them.
This of course leads to the great idea of making an apple pie. I found a French cookbook, and picked one of the three apple pie recipes. This one sounded easy and I didn't have to go buy anything because I happened to have all the ingredients. The recipe called for 3Kg of apples. Which sounded like a lot. The other recipes called for 8 or 6 apples. I didn't do the conversion of how many pounds of apples that would be at the time, but now looking back I realize that is 6.5lbs of apples!!! Yes Laurent and I believed the recipe and did as it said.
We of course don't have the appropiate measuring tools in grams yet so we decided to pull out our bathroom scale. We threw a bunch of apples into a bag and stood on the scale until we had 3Kg. Laurent then began to peel our ton of apples and I cut them in fours.
After they were cooked and we had an apple mountain pie and squished the rest of the cooked apples and we had apple sauce that tasted very similar to our apple pie.
Moral of the story: there is never any reason to use 3Kg of apples to make one pie!
This of course leads to the great idea of making an apple pie. I found a French cookbook, and picked one of the three apple pie recipes. This one sounded easy and I didn't have to go buy anything because I happened to have all the ingredients. The recipe called for 3Kg of apples. Which sounded like a lot. The other recipes called for 8 or 6 apples. I didn't do the conversion of how many pounds of apples that would be at the time, but now looking back I realize that is 6.5lbs of apples!!! Yes Laurent and I believed the recipe and did as it said.
We of course don't have the appropiate measuring tools in grams yet so we decided to pull out our bathroom scale. We threw a bunch of apples into a bag and stood on the scale until we had 3Kg. Laurent then began to peel our ton of apples and I cut them in fours.
After they were cooked and we had an apple mountain pie and squished the rest of the cooked apples and we had apple sauce that tasted very similar to our apple pie.
Moral of the story: there is never any reason to use 3Kg of apples to make one pie!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home