New cultural differences
After having lived in France for two years I thought I knew and appreciated, although not always understanding, most of the cultural differences there. After having lived life with some French families for the past few weeks I have become much more enlightened!
Who knew that if you got cold, while say you were visiting a cave, you could catch a cold. Not from a virus, but from being cold.
Once you had said cold it is not advisible to eat cold things, even if it is your throat that hurts.mmmmmm doesn't that popsicle look yummy?
I think this is why scarves are so popular in France, and why some French people are so freaked out when I wear short sleeves in March:-)
The other thing I learned is that it is not so acceptable to pee in the ocean. I am not sure this is a wide spread French thing, but I was warned not to drink too much at the beach because there were no bathrooms. They were being very thoughtful, which I appreciate, but of course my reply is that you just pee in the ocean. I am not sure that went over so well, but then again I couldn't understand everything that was being said:-)
Really it all boils down to the phrase: It's not bad, it's just different!
Who knew that if you got cold, while say you were visiting a cave, you could catch a cold. Not from a virus, but from being cold.
Once you had said cold it is not advisible to eat cold things, even if it is your throat that hurts.mmmmmm doesn't that popsicle look yummy?
I think this is why scarves are so popular in France, and why some French people are so freaked out when I wear short sleeves in March:-)
The other thing I learned is that it is not so acceptable to pee in the ocean. I am not sure this is a wide spread French thing, but I was warned not to drink too much at the beach because there were no bathrooms. They were being very thoughtful, which I appreciate, but of course my reply is that you just pee in the ocean. I am not sure that went over so well, but then again I couldn't understand everything that was being said:-)
Really it all boils down to the phrase: It's not bad, it's just different!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home